Thursday, January 12, 2006

Why do sportswriters love good soundbytes?

I had not intended my blogs to be only about sports but since I spend a lot of my free time watching and reading about sports, I can't help but have thoughts on this subject. And so once again I had to write about the recent NFL coaching changes occuring all over the league. In the day and age of free agency and salary caps, teams are impatient to get results soon. New coaches do not have the freedom to build a team according to their policy and guidelines. There are constant chops and changes and it was not so apparent as it is at the end of this past season when as many as 7 coaches were fired and 1 resigned (tearfully I may add).

Of the 1 resigned coach, he had made sure that when he left his team was probably in the best shape possible except for minor improvements needed on the defensive front. It is truly unselfish of Dick Vermeil to call it a day when he felt he could not add to the teams success. And so it was announced that his successor would be coach Herm Edwards of the NY J-E-T-S... Jets..Jets..Jets. What was so great about this coach and his record that the Chiefs had to let go of a 4th round draft pick to hire him. He has had an average record since being the Jets coach and while his fans may point out that he has had to cope with injury problems during his tenure, he has done nothing but dissapoint Jets fans with a disappointing season every year. The reason he is popular is because of the delicious sound bytes he provides in NFL primetime or Sportscenter making him a known face. "You play to win the game". That's all he will be good for. Now we can rest back and watch him grind this Chiefs team down in the ground. With great talent like Larry Johnson wasted. The Chiefs should just have appointed Offensive co-ordinator to the Head coaching position and awarded him for his hard work of keeping the Chiefs offence a focal point for the past few years. They would thus have kept that draft pick and maybe traded Priest Holmes for a few more picks to bolster the defence and take the next step towards supremacy.

3 Comments:

At 7:47 AM , Blogger Anarkist said...

As silly as it may seem, popularity is not always proportional to talent. Thats why we have immensely popular people like Aishwarya Rai and Anna Kournikova but with hardly any talent. What are your bets on the Steelers vs Broncos game this Sunday?
......anyway, going by the trend so far on your blog, your next post should be sometime in April 2006, so I won't be in a hurry to see your response.

 
At 2:11 PM , Blogger wagla_aka_batman said...

Inspired my the anarkist's taunt, here I am responding as soon as he personally told me he had left a comment on my blog. Who said I liked either of those you mentioned because of talent. For me Ash is stunningly gorgeous and some people need to be popular just because of that. I have seen her personally at collegiate level and believe me the knees buckled then. Anna, I won't justify anything out there.

Being an ardent Steelers fan, I can't bet against my boyz but it is going to be one heck of a running game and hence a short (2.5 hrs total TV time) game. Unless the Steelers get on top early in the first half through their creative plays and/or turnovers, the game will most likely end with the ever so reliable Elam kicking the winning field goal for the Broncos.

Guess what Jan aint over yet!

 
At 11:30 AM , Blogger Subash said...

ooooooo!! Batman stepping it up!! Yeah baby! That's right! Smack that bitch up! I saw that ESPN Page2 blogger "Boston Sports Guy" is picking steelers this weekend as well... I am scared.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home